Once we were done with pre beta launch and were very comfortable to do the beta launch, the question came where should we host the application. I had been working with Godaddy for a while but for this one as it was a portal I wanted to go with something more sophisticated. Amazon AWS was the obvious other option. Other hosting services under consideration were: Rackspace, Rightscale, Google and Digital Ocean. Following are pricing and Price calculator links for the options under consideration.
Pricing Link: http://www.rightscale.com/products-and-services/products/pricing
Rightscale Calculator: http://www.planforcloud.com/
Rightscale Calculator with Guest Login: https://planforcloud.rightscale.com/deployments?ga=guest_login
Digital Ocean Pricing: https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing/
Here is a cool additional link to compare 250+ cloud hosting plans:
For us it made sense to compare the basic plans at low level as we were starting fresh. We mainly compared the plans where there was room to grow. One additional plan in consideration was Godaddy private server plan,
But we wanted easy expandability so we wanted to go with one of the above plans. We decided to go with Amazon Free Tier because of the following reasons:
- Our outsourcing team was very comfortable with it.
- I was very interested in knowing how things work with Amazon AWS.
- We loved the monthly calculator that let us see how our expenses will go once we start getting more traffic.
- For the first year we thought we can survive with their micro instance with additional storage if required.
- We thought if needed to upgrade the bandwidth or the instance that was a good problem to have as that meant we had an increased traffic to our website.
- And we think expanding the volume size would be simple with AWS if and when the need arises.
Your criteria might be different and you might decide to go with something else but if you decide to go with Amazon AWS keep following us because, in the next articles we will go over how to setup things on Amazon AWS as we move along our journey to the beta launch.